On September 12th, 2019, a major utility company in the Chicago area suffered a critical failure when one of their transformers caught fire and was destroyed.
The utility company needed to get the transformer replaced quickly in order to maintain grid commitments and fortunately, they had a spare stored in a Chicago suburb; so they called Logisticus Group to move the stored transformer from the suburbs to replace the one that was destroyed in the city.
Several key challenges to overcome ⇢
- We had to move a 380 MVA Royal Smit transformer that weighed 380,000 lbs.
- The other (destroyed) transformer was located on Goose Island – a tiny island that sits between two branches of the Chicago River. It’s difficult to access with large heavy machinery and specialized transportation vehicles.
- Normal loads of transport – including road and city rail – were inadequate for a transformer of this size and weight. Bridges were TOTALLY off limits, as they could collapse under this weight of this transformer. Safety is always the #1 consideration in our planning process.
Once we got the call, the challenge was clear. It would be no easy feat to get this functional transformer from the suburbs to an island in the middle of the city.
However, we knew that with careful preparation and our specialized expertise, we could complete this extraordinary project (and we did).
Specific capabilities we utilized ⇢
- Transport feasibility assessment
- Cost benefit analysis
- Supplier selection
- Obtaining permits
- Project execution
- Potential crisis management
WATCH how we executed ⇢
Let us know what you think.
Drop a comment on the YouTube video + share with your own networks. You can read more about this project in a previous blog post.
Contact us to learn more.
We’d love to talk more with you about our multi-faceted capabilities. There is no problem too big for us to handle. If you’re not yet convinced, we have many more case studies we’re eager to review with you whenever you’re ready.