PROJECT OVERVIEW ⇢
Logisticus Group was contracted to provide Transportation Management Services for a wind farm project in Hillsdale. We were responsible for transporting Safe Harbor Units from a storage yard in Illinois to a wind farm in Michigan.
The project was completed ahead of schedule and on budget.
Despite roadblocks the Logisticus team were met with we were still able to pivot to get the project completed safely and successfully. Here’s a breakdown of what we did:
- Due to restrictions involved with Wind Turbine Transport in the states of Illinois, Indiana and Michigan, the Logisticus team had to research and plan a safe route
- The team planned and received approvals for all required transportation permits, police escorts, bucket/utility truck escorts and started the project on time
- Construction restrictions changed in the state of Indiana blocking the previously approved transportation route for Base and Nacelle components
- Logisticus deployed their contingency routing team and secured a route, North through Wisconsin, utilizing the SS Badger Ferry, from Manitowoc, across Lake Michigan and into Ludington, Michigan.
- The team then surveyed, permitted, secured slots on the ferry and successfully crossed in to Michigan within 8 days from start to completion.
- In addition, given the safe harbor units were traveling from a different location than the rest of the units that are being delivered from the OEM directly to the farm, the customer only had routing plans and site intersection improvements according to the OEM’s delivery requirements
- Logisticus worked with the customer to identify the most efficient route and entrance to the job site and specifically the Safe Harbor pads
- From there, the team designed a civil improvement for the new route and engaged the county permitting office for approval
NEED ANY PERMITTING, GOVERNMENT RELATIONS ASSISTANCE + CIVIL IMPROVEMENTS?
Reach out to us if you ever need any civil engineering, route assessment/route feasibility, permitting/government relations + civil improvement services. We are experts in these areas + ready for any challenge put in front of us. You can learn more about how we execute such capabilities in this video we filmed last summer in OH – however, every project is unique + requires its own strategy and solutions.